Torchmate Rescue question

A place to get answers about which CNC products to look at for your specific application. We have everything from complete controllers in different sizes and in both stepper and servo configurations. A good place to start and get basic answers
crambo117

Torchmate Rescue question

Post by crambo117 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:30 pm

So I'm getting ready to order this. And I've been trying to get all my ducks in a row.

Before I order I need to figure out how the 2 Motors adapt to my torchmate Gantry when it currently only runs one motor for each axis. The woman I spoke to on the phone says it comes with everything and is direct Plug and Play and that's why the price is higher. I just want to make sure I have everything I need before I get it all.

I would also like to install home switches on the table and was curious how easily this could be done.

Super excited after talkin with a few candcnc owners about this setup.

Thanks!

Dev

admin13o5
Site Admin

Re: Torchmate Rescue question

Post by admin13o5 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:45 pm

well most of the TM tables I have seen have two motors for ganty motion , on eon each side. If you don't have the mechanics for that you will have to either have to take out the cross shaft and configure motor mounts for the blank side and put in the rack and pinion and belt reduction OR configure it the way ti is now with just one motor. While it will perform better than it does now it won't have the acceleration and response a dual motor system gives you. I am not sure I would call it a direct "plug and play". You are not going to pull this out of the box , plug it in and it will start cutting out parts. The whole part design concept is different and there are new tools to learn and you have to be able to spend some time setting it up and learning a different (and lots moire flexible) way of drawing and preparing cut files .

TM made a LOT of tables and I can say that none of them were high performance machines . the steep versions were all underpowered and suffered from having limited cut speeds due to poor acceleration specs (low torque) The THC was kinda cludgey and required a lot of user oversight to work. most of their TM series had dual drive steppers (rather low torque motors) and a proper belt reduction of about 3:1 to match motor RPM and torque to using a 1" pinion gear. I know they tried a lot of designs over the years/ Their 2 X 2 caused a lot of buzz but in the end was a flop because that size is not very useful. They existed in a market where there was limited competition and in most cases they simply out lived most of them.

I don't want you to spend the money then be disappointed when its not drop dead easy and will not have a lot better performance with just one motor.

On thing you might consider is upgrading the one gantry motor to the larger (34 frame) 980 motor (ist in the Options) but it will need a different mount and mechanics (bigger motor, bigger 1/2" shaft dia.so once again its not going tojust bolt up and run.

I don't know where you are in the CNC cutting process as far as what you want to do or if you want to use this in a way that gets you a return on your investment. I think I would consider building a table that you can have a proper drive setup or one that is more flexible as to size, speeds , and performance.

The controller can handle up to 16 inputs (switch or sensor) and they are all isolated . Setting up homes and/or limits is pretty easy but it does take using the included GUI configuration tool and taking an input name / number and defining the function it actually does from a drop down list.

Once again its partially setup for the basics and there is an included CONFIG that is for using Homes on XY and Z . CommandCNC requires you define a MACHINE zero (Home) even if you just manually move to a table position and tell it that is "home" for that axis. All motion is based on an OFFSET (Work offset) from the Machine Zeros ) and the readouts are relative to the Work zero , not the Machine Home.

Think it over. There is more to it than just plugging it in where you od ANY retofit. Some are harder than others (and some or almost impossible ) . The conventional dual motor TM design is pretty easy but its still a lot like building your own table , just with most of the mechanical already done.

crambo117

Post by crambo117 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:03 am

you hit the nail on the head with all the issues of why i don't like the flashcut/TM stuff, although its very easy to use its slow & weak torque along with junk thc

after seeing everything commandcnc can do i'm okay with learning something new. i run vicon,tm, plasmacam currently.

as long as 3:1 is acceptable for the c&cnc motors i can order a second set and it looks like it will be fairly easy to get a second motor mounted to the gantry with duplicate belt drive from torchmate.

thanks for all the info

Devon C

crambo117

Post by crambo117 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:04 pm

Should i just save some money and order the most popular bundle then? Even with the z axis added it still comes out cheaper it seems. It seems everything else is the same

admin13o5
Site Admin

Post by admin13o5 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:37 pm

You would. The new G5 bundle is going to be spread across all of the rescue kits in the next few days. Using a twin motor setup you will see a dramatic improvement in performacne and you will be able to take advantage of the added features that CommandCNC brings. I would justr the Most Popular Bundle G5 and add the super Z option and make usre you have the cable lengths you need for the table . you can take th e"bones " of the TM table and the belt reduciton and build yourself really nice high performance table that you can use to make just about anything you want out of metal with .
I do suggest the mini pc upgrade because it gets you a brena spanking new Shuttle PC with a 2 year warranty snd with the small footprint your mounting otpions are a lot deeper.

Alphonseham

Post by Alphonseham » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:30 am

Would you get the Shuttle PC for the 2-year warranty alone?

admin13o5
Site Admin

Post by admin13o5 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:52 am

Personally I would We have had very little problems with that brand an model

adjextra

Post by adjextra » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:05 am

I could do some rewiring, BUT, it would be much easier for me if someone knows where I can get TX14207 motor drivers in the US. THANKS

admin13o5
Site Admin

Post by admin13o5 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:04 am

That import driver has been out of production for several years . It was never a US stocked product. Torchmate had SOME spare parts after Lincoln took over but completely changed the whole design and sold out most of the older spare parts.

We have been using US Gecko drivers for over 15 years. While there have been updates to the designs the footprint and pinout have remained the same so newer drives fit older designs.

When you evaluate a table or controller one question that is important is the availability of spare parts . We are committed to keep spare sub assemblies in stock that do not have plug compatible replacements for at least 5 years after the design changes . In most cases we have patts for units built 7 - 10 years ago. We have upgrade kits for controllers back to 2012.